Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Adoption by Gay Parents

I stumbled upon this brief clip on adoption by gay parents in Germany and thought it provided another perspective to what we discussed in class today. I enjoyed how this discussed impacts on children, especially the difference between adopted and biological children, and how this affected the potential for families.

http://www.aljazeera.com/video/europe/2013/02/2013219134146818714.html

After watching the clip, I was curious as to the history of adoptions by gay couples in the US and found this article by the NYTimes from about two years.  It discusses the state of gay adoptions in 2011 and mentions how it parallels and diverges from discussions over gay marriage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/us/14adoption.html?pagewanted=all

Looking into the future, I wonder how legalized gay marriage in certain states and the pending Supreme Court decision will further affect these trends.  I'm not sure if we'll have a chance to discuss this in class so I thought I'd throw these ideas out on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment